My Blog List

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Lost Generation

I read recently that the recession is hitting particular groups harder than others. My group, Gen Y or Millennials, are apparently one of these groups. Unemployment rates are rather high and many are facing tough decisions. Some are giving up higher education, others are moving in with their parents after graduating, I know many who have taken jobs that aren't related to their field.

I am lucky that I have had community to fall back on in the past and knew people who could help me with finding part time work or introducing me to jobs that I wouldn't have been able to find without their help. But now that we have moved and I don't have that same community I am definitely feeling the unemployment stress that has hit the rest of the country.

I went on a few interviews for a job in the retail industry that SS thought I was a shoe in for. I was supposed to find out this week and training was supposed to start this weekend. I haven't heard anything positive or negative and I've hesitated to call. It looks like its back to writing cover letters.

They say the loss in over all income will be substantial. Not just now but for my generation it will go on into future jobs and affect our careers long term. Its so frustrating knowing that there are things that can be done and many initiatives that have been put forward but that have been hindered due to petty party politics.

No comments: