My Blog List

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Chugging Along

Today has made me very aware of how much of a wuss I am going to be when the winter comes. It is only in the 60's here and I feel already freezing. I feel very unprepared for what lies ahead.

I have plans on getting Bear a coat since he is so old and his arthritis is so advanced. I think I want to get him the Mission coat from Ezydog but I don't know yet if its worth it. Is it normal to have coats on dogs in places with winters like DC? The idea of a coat on an animal that has fur seems odd. However Bear is of a breed from Australia so maybe not so odd, plus because of his health and legs it seems more reasonable. I plan on getting him a harness as well if I can so the leash doesn't strain on his neck. We took him for a walk in his K9 cart the other day and he has slowed down so much, his hind legs to seem to be able to take more than a few feet if hes not supported.

I have made them an appointment with a vet on Friday so we shall see how that goes. When Bear started to show signs of arthritis and hip dysplasia there was a vet who we went to that suggested I crate Bear for the rest of his life so as not to exacerbate the issue. That was over 4 years ago. I can't imagine what life would have been like for any of us had I followed her suggestion. After that bull I have a hard time trusting medical personnel with them simply because they wear a white coat. Our vet in our previous town was so great that it was hard to leave that practice. Hopefully we wont have any problems here.

I'm still considering getting the training set for the cat to use the toilet. Especially every time I step into the bathroom and have to deal with litter between my toes. Yuck! I don't know anyone who has used it so I'm hesitant to get it without hearing any results. I shall have to look into it and see what the consensus is on the internet.

No comments: