My Blog List

Saturday, September 3, 2011

New Beginnings

It's been about 3 weeks since we moved to DC and we're still getting settled. A few boxes have yet to be officially unpacked but for the most part this is home now.

I think Bear, our Queensland Heeler, prefers this to our previous apartment since he can now keep tabs on everyone much easier with less space for us to wander. This of course leads to the inevitable dog toes being stepped on and cries of frustration when you just want a moment without a four legged companion underfoot.

Our other quadruped of the feline variety, Max, also seems to enjoy it. But he is the most laid back cat I have ever met. You could put him in a sweat lodge and I think he'd be cool with it, as long as he had room to stretch out.

SS has settled nicely in classes and seems to like it so far. I haven't met very many of our neighbors yet, a few here and there. Bear has more friends already than I do, which isn't surprising given his friendly demeanor.

We have found some nice vegan fair. Last night we went to Pizzeria Paradiso for dinner. I had the Paradiso with vegan mozzarella. It wasn't bad, I'm not too big of a fan of vegan cheese though. I think it was daiya. I have had good experiences with daiya in the past and it was satisfying to eat pizza. The crust was amazing! I'm pretty picky about crusts so I was surprised. I was excited to see that it is right across the street from another veg friendly spot, Harmony Cafe. I hope we get to go there again soon. Our friend Amy took us to a place on H St. called Sticky Rice, although the best thing about it was the giant bucket of tater tots that you can order along with the spicy mayonnaise sauce, veganizable!

We're thinking about training Max to use the toilet. We've never had to share our bathroom space with a litter box before. We're getting used to the idea but I remember seeing a product that helped train cats to use the toilet and I know for a fact that my parents had a cat that used the toilet when I was little so I have hopes that it can be done. Although I don't know how I'd feel walking into the bathroom and seeing someone had gone without flushing! Maybe that should be the next frontier after toilet training!

No comments: